Ahh yes, so often I’m asked “What IS coaching?!” Coaching is a dedicated partnership focusing on the client’s needs, goals and dreams. Prosperous people who know they have even greater potential work with coaches to take themselves from being capable and resilient to being confident, fulfilled and balanced.
As your coach I will:
• Focus my energy on YOU.
• Collaborate with you in an accepting and empowering way.
• Work with you to create specific plans to achieve goals.
• Listen actively and respond with insightful questions and observations.
• Challenge you, respectfully, to see yourself differently.
• Hold you accountable to the goals you set.
• Maintain confidentiality.
What Coaching is Not
Therapists, Mentors, and Consultants are often lumped together with Coaching. All are uniquely valuable.
Therapists (using this term broadly) treat people who are hurting mentally and emotionally and need healing. Coaches work with folks who are feeling well and want to go to that next level of accomplishment. Feeling well mentally and emotionally is a critical foundation for coaching to be a success.
Mentors and Consultants direct people to a solution that has worked in the past or for another company/individual. Mentors share their experiences, best practices, and lessons learned. Consultants come up with plans or systems to accomplish goals and provide advice and opinions. Coaches will share their experience, a system, or a best practice; it’s just not the focal point of the interaction. Everyone understands that this sharing does not obligate the client to do the same thing.
Is Coaching Right for you?
• I believe I can create a powerful, purposeful life.
• I can look at how I show up in life and begin changing unproductive cycles.
• Accountability to someone else would be helpful.
• I am ready to focus on my needs and dreams.
• I would like to explore different ways of handling stressful situations.
• Clarity on my professional goals would be a blessing.
• I suffer from paralysis by analysis when it comes to big decisions.
Energy Leadership™ and the ELI
Energy Leadership is based upon the belief that we are all leaders in some way and our level of energy impacts how we lead and how we respond to the leadership of others. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
• Energy is the basis for everything. We spend a lot of time talking about not having enough energy, wasting energy and trying to find more.
• You can “feel” a person’s energy and are aware it can vary. Maybe it’s the happy friend who instantly lifts everyone’s mood when she enters a room. It may be the stern boss who creates a lot of nervous tension in meetings. Think about this: that happy friend could also be the stern boss <boom!>.
• You see how one person’s energy can influence others’ even if it’s not conscious. Now you can start to understand how your energy level can affect how you lead regardless if you have an official leadership role.
• Energy levels are really lenses that affect how you see the world and they can change moment to moment based upon your choices. Think of it like putting on different pairs of eye glasses; you may find it too sunny for clear lenses and choose to wear tinted ones. The same person may be the happy friend on Saturday and the stern boss Monday-Friday.
• It may not always feel like you have a choice in your reaction like you do changing glasses but this is where working with me as your coach can help you see that you have just that…a choice.
The Energy Leadership Index Assessment (ELI) is an attitudinal assessment that measures how much of each energy level (energetic pairs of glasses) you have when responding to both every day events and stressful situations. Below are a few helpful points:
• This is not a personality assessment. Those typically result in a list of attributes with a label and the objective is to have a person accept those in order to work effectively within them. Instead, the ELI measures your current level of energy based on your attitude, perception and beliefs.
• The great thing is that our attitudes, perceptions and beliefs can change which means our energy level can also!
• You not only have a choice in your reactions but you can choose to work with me to set goals around making changes to your perceptions and attitude which can lead to increased energy and more effective leadership in all areas of your life!